Whether you’re traveling for work or leisure, there are many reasons you need to have safe and reliable internet connection at all times. Unfortunately, using cellular data overseas may incur roaming charges. Time and again, we’ve seen hefty phone bills amounting to thousands of dollars just because one took the risk of connecting to the Internet using their mobile number from home while abroad.
Thankfully, there are plenty of public Wi-Fi networks wherever you are in the world. From airports to train stations, hotels to malls, coffee shops to offices and so much more, just take a look at the list of Wi-Fi connections on your device and you can choose which one’s available for you to use.
The Importance of Having an Online Connection Overseas
There are many kinds of travelers. Those who travel for business, leisure and those who simply want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Among the many necessities one would require when traveling, having an online connection can be considered one of the most important.
Here are only some of the many reasons you need to have Internet connection when you’re overseas:
- If you’re traveling for business, you may have to check your work email or connect to your company’s server or datacenter even when you’re abroad.
- Having internet connection to help get directions to avoid getting lost is truly essential especially if English is not widely spoken in that foreign country.
- Getting in touch with people at home would be a lot cheaper if you would do so through online messengers as international phone calls and text messages could be very expensive.
- Posting updates about your travels on social media would require Internet connection.
- While you most likely already planned your itinerary ahead of time, there may be last minute changes that would leave you with some idle hours. If you’re looking for a nice restaurant for dinner or some great tourist spots, you can easily find numerous recommendations online.
The Dangers of Connecting to Public Wi-Fi Networks
To avoid hefty charges on your mobile phone bill, the best option you have to stay online while abroad are public Wi-Fi networks. You can connect to the Internet while waiting for your flight or having a cup of coffee. But just like you, there are other people connected to the same network. Just imagine how many travelers connect to the airport Wi-Fi on a daily basis and it’s practically impossible for you to find out who you’re sharing the connection with.
If only one could see how sensitive data and other personal and private information floats around the air while people share the same network then it would be truly scary. When you’re connected to public Wi-Fi, even if it seems secure enough, your privacy is still at risk. Who knows if that person sitting right across you already has access to your bank accounts? Would you truly risk it?
Benefits of Using VPN Services Abroad
Thankfully, technology has blessed us with ways to protect our privacy when connecting to the Internet while traveling. The same product can also guarantee reliable services as well as connection even to restricted websites based on your location. Travelers have started to realize the benefits of using VPN services because it is simply the best way to keep your personal data and information safe and secure while you’re online, even when you’re connected to a public Wi-Fi network.
But you can’t just rely on any random VPN company. While there are some free VPN services you would find online, for something as sensitive as your personal data at risk, you would rather be connected to one that can guarantee reliability and security like ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN is the top VPN service provider for travelers worldwide primarily because it is available in over 148 VPN locations across 94 countries. Furthermore, it offers fast and seamless connection and it’s super easy to use. In addition, you can always reach out to ExpressVPN’s customer support team that’s available 24/7 should you have any issues, which hardly happens, by the way.
If you are a frequent traveler you would already know why having VPN service is highly important. If you’re not sure exactly why you need it yet, here are some benefits of using VPN while you’re abroad:
- Some governments block certain websites and other online platforms. With VPN, you can bypass most if not all censorships and firewalls that you may encounter abroad.
- You will have the ability to browse using an encrypted IP address so that you would remain anonymous.
- Believe it or not, some websites can track you and install cookies on your computer without your knowledge. With VPN, you won’t have to worry about this too.
- You deserve to have peace of mind when receiving and sending sensitive information online. All these will be protected if your have VPN.
- If you need to connect to a remote data center such as your company’s computer network, then you can do so with VPN.
While packing your bags and ensuring all your necessary travel documents and other essentials are complete, make sure you have a way to securely connect to the Internet. Have a guarantee that you can stay connected online without the hefty phone bill when you come back home with your very own VPN.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.